Transcriptions For Care (Installation)
1. Sit on Henry’s desk.
2. Wait to see if Henry asks me to read to him.
3. Get Henry water after he asks.
4. Wait for Henry to finish the water.
5. Wait to see if Henry asks me to read to him.
6. Fix Henry’s watch to the correct time after he asks.
7. Put the watch back on his wrist after fixing it.
8. Wait to see if Henry asks me to read to him.
9. Read to Henry from the newspaper.
These texts are a record of my actions toward people I worked with in my previous job at an art studio for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. They highlight the predictability of these interactions, as well as both the happy and difficult moments within the care labor field.
The text in this installation is paired with a video work that uses the language from a typical example of paper work from this job scrolling over a view looking down into a cup with a vitamin C tablet dissolving.